Hey. I just found this list of the 100 top foreign films complied by Edward Copeland. I’m a relatively big fan of French cinema, so I was excited to see that Amélie, Jules et Jim and a bunch of others made the list.
Actually, just the week, I NetFlix-ed a French new-wave classic: Breathless. Great stuff. If not just for the sharply written romance, watch it because it’s one of many films that gave a generation of independent filmmakers an artistic identity.
Obviously, all of the staples made the list Fellini’s: 8 ½, Kurosawa’s Seven Samauri as well as some of my personal favorites, like the more recent Run Lola Run and Y tu mamá también by Mexican Director Alfonso Cuarón of Harry Potter and Children of Men fame. If you haven’t seen Y tu mamá también, of any of the films on the list I might recommend this one. It’s an excellent coming-of-age story with a twist-ending that was as believable as it was surprising.
Friday, October 5, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment